- ADM Institute presents early learnings of study to partners of global postharvest loss initiative
With grant funds received from the Rockefeller Foundation, the ADM Institute is conducting a Global Learning Assessment to identify successful findings in postharvest loss, scaling promising solutions, and promoting smallholders in the adoption of postharvest loss prevention technologies and practices. In April 2014, Principal Investigator presented the first installment of the study, the Early Learning Report, at a partners meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.
- International research collaboration to contribute new data on postharvest loss in China
The ADM Institute, in partnership with a Chinese think tank, is currently conducting a study of wheat postharvest loss using an approach of data comparison that has not been used before, to our experts’ knowledge. The study in Henan Province, China will compare actual measurements of loss with estimates, which will paint a clearer picture of what interventions to reduce loss might be necessary. Read more here.
- ADM gives US$10 million to found institute to reduce global postharvest loss of grains, oilseeds
- An Overview of Postharvest Losses of Fruits, Vegetables, and Grains in Bangladesh: Identification of Losses in the Supply Chain
A primarily agrarian economy, the performance of Bangladesh's agricultural sector has direct impact on food security, economic development, and poverty alleviation. When food is lost along the supply chain, the effects are detrimental for individual farmers as well as the country as a whole. Once a professor at Bangladesh Agricultural University, Dr. Tofael Ahamed, University of Tsukuba, gave an overview of postharvest loss issues in food supply chains on May 28that UIUC. A video of his presentation is available.
- ADM Institute signs MOU with Chinese Research Center for Rural Economy (RCRE)
The ADM Institute and RCRE have agreed to a project that will develop strategies to reduce postharvest loss in China. RCRE will conduct a baseline survey that focuses on examining the extent of postharvest losses of wheat in the storage, transportation, and processing stages in the major wheat production area of China.
- "ADM Institute's Approach for Postharvest Loss Prevention"
March 2013. Presentation given at the USAID Ag Sector Council Seminar, "Preventing Postharvest Losses from Field to Market: A Food Security Imperative", by Steve Sonka. Audio recording, transcript, and slides available on USAID Agrilinks website. Seminar summary and resources are also available.
- "2012 Progress Report"
ADM Institute's 2012 Progress Report is now available. Three major dimentions describe the institute's activities in 2012 - Raising Awareness, Enhancing Collaboration, and Harnessing Research Expertise. Read more about the institute's accomplishments in 2012 from the 2012 Progress Report.
- Trip Report and Takeaways - "Operation Postharvest: Discovering preventions for Philippine rice loss"
December 2012. Presentation given at the University of Illinois, ACES Library, by Grace Kenney. Presentation available upon request.
- Company Presentation - Compatible Technology International
December 2012. Presentation given at the ADM Institute, Champaign, Illinois, by Roger Salway, CEO, Compatible Technology International. Presentation available upon request.
- "Waste Not, Want Not: Solutions for Reducing Post-Harvest Loss"
October 2012. Presentation given at the 2012 Borlaug Dialogue, Des Moines, Iowa, by Steve Sonka (video).
- Novo tipo de silo para milho e avaliado em Sinop (video)
October 2012. Video by Globo Rural TV in Sinop, Brazil, featuring research by ADM Institute faculty Grace Danao and Marvin Paulsen and partners. In Portuguese.
- Workshop de Perdas Pos-Colheita with Embrapa in Brazil
- Video in Portuguese (English coming soon) about postharvest losses in Brazil, featuring many of ADM Institute faculty and partners.
- Reducing Postharvest Loss to Advance Food Security in Chinese: "产后损失与可持续发展"
October 2012. Presentation made to Chinese Executive Leadership Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- "Preventing the Preventable: An Interview with Steve Sonka of the ADM Institute"
September 2012. Agrilinks Video Note interview with Director Steve Sonka.
- Agrilinks blog posts on the ADM Institute researcher videos:
August and September 2012.
- "Preventing Postharvest Loss: an Initiative at the University of Illinois"
July 2012. Presentation given at Embrapa--Soja, Londrina, Brazil, by Richard Gates (PPT) - also available in Portuguese
- CEE Team Works to Minimize Postharvest Food Loss
University of Illinois Civil and Environmental Engineering researchers work across departments and share expertise to tackle PHL in grains, as part of their work with the ADM Institute for the Prevention of Postharvest Loss.
- "Preventing Postharvest Loss:
an Initiative at the University of Illinois"
July 2012. Presentation given to Brazilian Society of Agricultural Engineers, Brazil, by Richard Gates (PPT) - also available in Portuguese
- "Post-harvest Loss and Sustainable Development"
June 13, 2012. Presentation given at 22nd Annual IFAMA World Forum and Symposium, Shanghai, China, by Steve Sonka (PPT)
- "Reducing Post-harvest Loss to Advance Food Security"
June 6, 2012. Presentation given at USAID, by Steve Sonka (PPT)
- "Opportunities for Innovation in Indian Agriculture Sector"
October 4, 2011. Presentation given at in Chicago, IL, by Steve Sonka (PPT)
This event highlighted recent and potential innovations in production practices, efficient use of water, farm financing, minimizing post harvest loss, and Indian food systems. Speakers and panelists included representatives from various agencies of the Government of India, researchers and faculty from the University of Illinois and Michigan State University, and corporate representatives from major agricultural and technology firms in the US and India.
- "Innovative Solutions for Reducing Post Harvest Losses"
September 20, 2011. Presented at the World Bank by Pradeep Khanna (PPT)
This presentation was given at the conference titled "Improving Food Security by Reducing Post-Harvest Losses" held at the World Bank. The conference was hosted by The Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa and Agriculture and Rural Development Department of the World Bank, in collaboration with Abt Associates, Inc. and GrainPro.
- In February 2012, the ADM Institute for the Prevention of Postharvest Loss sponsored the 46th Annual Convention: Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE) and International Symposium on Grain Storage.
The Institute participated as a Gold Sponsor and K.C. Ting presented the keynote on behalf of the Institute. Additionally, several professors from the University of Illinois co-authored presentations on postharvest loss:
K.D. Rausch, M.E. Tumbleson and V. Singh
Effects of Postharvest Practices and Grain Quality on Maize Wet Milling and Dry Milling
Vijay Singh, Gant S. Murthy, M.E. Tumbleson, and Kent D Rausch
Effects on Maise Harvest Moisture Content and Postharvest Drying Temperature on the Dry Grind Ethanol Production
M.C. Danao, M. Viswanathan and M.K. Garg
Storage and Postharvest Loss Issues in the Kancheepuram District of Tamil Nadu and Mohindergarh District of Haryana
Keynote Address PowerPoint
Handout about the ADM Institute disseminated at the Convention
ISAE Convention Abstracts
Back to top